Flossing is an essential dental practice to keep your teeth healthy and clean. However, if you have braces, flossing can be uncomfortable, and you may prefer not to do it because of it.
Apart from the fact that it’s uncomfortable, flossing is fundamental when you have braces. This orthodontic treatment is very effective in correcting misaligned teeth, but also in trapping food particles easily. That’s the main reason you cannot skip brushing and flossing your teeth, even though it’s a little harder when you’re wearing braces.
What Happens If I Don’t Floss My Teeth?
If you’re wearing braces and you don’t floss your teeth, the first thing you’re going to develop is gum disease gingivitis. This disease makes your gums sensitive, red, and swollen, resulting in a “gummy” smile. Plus, if you have healthy gums, the correction process of your teeth will be a lot faster.
When you floss your teeth daily, the plaque in your mouth does not infect your gums. Nothing can replace flossing, neither mouthwash nor water pick.
How Can I Make Flossing With Braces Easier?
There are ways to make flossing with braces easier. We are going to share with you three ways you can put into practice to floss your teeth with less difficulty.
- Use the right tool: Some tools aren’t necessarily expensive, and you can use them to floss your teeth in a more friendly and less painful way. At the end of this blog post, we will be sharing with you some of the tools that can help you and where to find them.
- Use waxed floss: If you use non-wax floss, it will get attached to your braces and leave shreds of floss behind. On the other hand, waxed floss will slip between each tooth more easily.
- Swish water before brushing: If you rinse with water after eating, you will help lose food that may have been caught in the braces. You can brush your teeth and use floss after this.
Use The Best Tools To Floss Your Teeth
Since flossing with braces can be a little hard, we are listing some tools that can help you floss your teeth more efficiently. Here are some of the best you can find on Amazon.
- Oral-B Glide Pro-Health Deep Clean Mint Floss: This is the best traditional floss for braces, and you can find the six-pack for $15 on Amazon.
- DenTek Floss Threaders: This is the best floss threader to use with traditional floss, and you can find the 50-pack on Amazon for $4.
- Oral-B Super Floss: This is the best floss strands with built-in threaders, and you can find the 50-pack, set of 2 on Amazon for $7.
- Platypus Orthodontic Flossers For Braces: These are the best orthodontic flossers, and you can find the 30-pack, set of 2 on Amazon for $14.
- Water Aquarius Professional Water Flosser: This is the best water flosser/oral irrigator for braces, and you can find it for $68 on Amazon.
Do You Need Professional Assistance?
Besides all the tips and tools we mentioned above, you must schedule an appointment with a dentist every six months to clean your braces and check them out.
If you need any orthodontic service, you can count on Golsen Family Dentistry. We are experts dentists, and we know how to help you in the most effective way.